Engineering is a people-oriented profession that helps improve quality of life. This often gets lost in college engineering education, especially in the beginning of the college experience.
Project-based courses and other active learning-based activities improve retention and student satisfaction in engineering programs across the country. With a diverse team of faculty members representing the country’s finest institutions combined with global industrial leaders, POETS is in a unique position to offer a suite of hands-on learning experiences for all levels of undergraduate students that demonstrate the:
- Immediate impact that engineers have on our society
- Technical challenges that engineers face.
Using application-based case studies on machines ranging from power tools to mining vehicles, undergraduates at POETS institutions will understand societal relevance of the challenges that POETS addresses and become budding leaders in systems level thinking.
POETS offers several avenues for students to become involved in project-based learning as well as interdisciplinary experiences:
- First-year engineering design course
- Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU)
- Undergraduate research during the school year
- Interdisciplinary senior design experience