Center for Power Optimization of Electro-thermal Systems
Research Experience for Undergraduates
CALLING ON ENGINEERING UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS TO HELP INCREASE THE POWER DENSITY OF CURRENT MOBILE ELECTRIFIED SYSTEMS BY 10-100 TIMES THE CURRENT STATE OF THE ART!
The Center for Power Optimization of Electro-Thermal Systems (POETS) offers a 10-week summer research program that provides undergraduate students with an opportunity to explore careers in research. Students gain an experience that will help strengthen their knowledge, skills and understanding of research methodologies as well as graduate school. The POETS REU program places students at one of its four universities: Howard University, Stanford University, University of Arkansas, and University of Illinois. While at a POETS institution, REU students work on a POETS research project under the guidance and mentorship of a faculty member and graduate student or post-doctoral mentor. In addition to research, students will participate in bi-weekly research seminars and professional development workshops, engage in a variety of social and professional events and communicate their research progress at multiple venues including POETS’ annual meeting in September. The goal of POETS REU program is to provide a unique summer experience that encourages students to pursue graduate studies in engineering.
- Hands-on research
- Faculty/peer mentoring
- Professional development
- Networking opportunities
- $5,000 stipend
- Airfare to and from POETS institution
- On-campus housing and meal plan provided at all campus except if placed at Stanford
- All expenses paid to POETS annual conference in Fall 2019
- Conference allowance to present REU research during school year (i.e. ASME, SHPE, NSBE)
- Undergraduates majoring in science, technology, engineering or mathematics (STEM) disciplines.
- Must be a current undergraduate student during the summer of 2020 (i.e. graduation date in Dec. 2020 or later)
- Students with an average GPA of 3.0/4.0 or higher
- U.S. citizenship/national or permanent residency is required
- Students from underrepresented minority groups, women, persons with disabilities and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply
This year, POETS REU program's application will go through the NSF REU Common Application: www.nsfreu.org . Note, that although the POETS REU site location is listed as Urbana-Champaign, IL you may be matched at any one of our four institutions (Illinois, Arkansas, Howard and Stanford). To apply to our program, select the "POETS REU" site during Step 5: Site Selection of your application.
The application materials consist of:
- Ranking of the top five research experiences you find most interesting from the POETS REU Project descriptions
- A 500 word Personal Statement: Please describe your academic and career goals and how the REU program will help you to achieve these goals
- A copy of your unofficial transcript
- CV or resume
- Provide two faculty references
- Selection of general skill set
The POETS REU Application is now open. Our application deadline is February 17th, 2020.
MEET OUR PAST PARTICIPANTS!
Mr. Joe Muskin - email@example.com
Dr. Jessica Perez - firstname.lastname@example.org